Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Veggie Tales

It has been a long time since I blogged so I thought it might be fun to log our family's Lent adventure. Every year Jessica sends out her Lent Police letter and asks us what we will be giving up for Lent. This year Brad and I decided to give up red meat, poultry, most dairy products, and coke. We will still eat seafood, fish, yogurt, vegetarian cheese, eggs, and small amounts of butter. We have been talking about trying to eat a vegetarian diet so decided this might be a good time to start. Our hope is that it makes us feel better, more energetic and gives us new ideas of how to eat healthy foods.
Because today was Fat Tuesday we celebrated like all good Catholics do and pigged out on red meat, cheese, and cola. Our supper was Jambalaya. Spicy and delicious as you can see in the picture below.

This is our fridge loaded with all our fruits, veggies, and milk/dairy substitutes and the top of Bethany's head.
                                

I have to admit that I'm pretty excited about these next 40 days. I think it will be really good for us to step out of our old eating habits and try some new ones. My one concern is that I might have trouble eating enough complete proteins. That's why we kept eggs and fish.
My goal is to blog about what we eat and how we feels during Lent so stay tuned for an update really soon!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! To both the fat Tuesday meal and to the stocked fridge. We had fish last night! LOL! I'm excited to see how the vegetarian diet works out for you. Ironically we're having breakfast burritos with sausage on the first day of lent because that's about the only option left in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have got quite a diet change. Hope it is a good experience. Will be looking forward to the blogs.

    ReplyDelete