Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day 5

Menu Log:
Breakfast: orange scone from Panera & an orange per Bethany's choosing.
Lunch: Cod fish fillet with mixed baby potatoes. I cooked it in a foil pouch with plenty of olive oil, salt, cilantro, and lime.
Supper: quinoa salad and bread.
The salad has red and white quinoa. I sautéed some onions and garlic, roasted a couple of red bell peppers, and opened up a can of corn and black beans. I added some salt, cilantro, olive oil and lime juice. Pretty tasty. This would make a great summer salad.
I had to do a little research on the quinoa. I knew it was a complete protein but wasn't aware that it is gluten free. The article I read said one cup of quinoa had 8 grams of protein as opposed to one egg which has 6. It also has lots of calcium, and iron. There are other good things about it but those are the facts that struck me as most important. I think we will be eating more quinoa in the near future.



 
 

2 comments:

  1. As always. You make your meals look fabulous. I think you need to start a cookbook, or maybe work this in to some sort of business venture. I think I am going to have to purchase lentils and quinoa and use some of your recipes. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda cooked some quinoa a while back and I had never had any. I thought it was pretty good. Got to reading about it and it is from the Amaranth family of plants, which include pigweeds, water hemp, palmer amaranth (Careless weeds W. TX. lingo). So I was kidding her about having careless weeds for supper.

    Sorry, but I don't have any plans to go vegetarian. Hope it works for you guys and you see benefits.

    ReplyDelete