Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Day 8

Menu Log:
Breakfast: Yogurt and granola
Lunch: left over spinach lasagna
Supper: Vegetable soup


Today I cooked beef. Not for me but for a family from our church that needed a meal. I made them stew. When I cooked the meat I thought I might really want some but it didn't make me drool like I thought it might. I put all the veggies and bulgur wheat together and braised the meat separately for a while. Then I took out enough for our supper tonight and added the meat to their part. It turned out very tasty without the meat. I think the key to enjoying food is not necessarily the fat. I think the flavor really comes from adding the correct amount of salt, herbs, and spices. I had to try the meat stew to make sure it was seasoned properly but I made sure not to get any beef pieces.
One of the veggies I included in the soup was garbanzo beans. Below you can read about their nutritional benefits from an article I read. The web address is at the end if you are interested in further reading.


Nutritional Data

Garbanzo beans are full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. A 100-g serving of cooked garbanzo beans without salt contains 27.42 g carbohydrates, which helps to create energy; 7.6 g dietary fiber for good heart health and a healthy digestive system; 2.59 g fat; and 8.86 g protein. Garbanzo beans also contain vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K. Minerals contained in garbanzo beans are calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/314874-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-garbanzo-beans/#ixzz2LVjZptSM

1 comment:

  1. You keep giving me ideas to try. Saw a recipe for 2 vegetarian meals in the paper yesterday. One was for lentil soup, much like what you made. Going to try that. The other was for a macaroni dish with sientan? Was some sort of meat substitute like tofu, but was basically wheat gluten. Keep these wonderful posts coming. I eagerly wait for each one to see what's next. : )

    ReplyDelete