Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 9

Menu Log
Brunch: pancakes and eggs
Supper: Tofu stir fry with rice
Bethany has been sick the past couple of days and slept very poorly last night so I got very few hours of sleep. We slept in and Brad was a saint and fixed us a yummy brunch. I snacked on apples, granola etc. in the afternoon and then fixed a good supper. The picture looks really orange for some reason but it turned out good. I am not a huge fan of tofu and I think it's because I really don't know how to cook with it. I found a website that gave some good tips on cooking tofu so it wasn't soggy. I cut the "firm" tofu into about 1 inch slices and pressed it between a clean cloth on my cutting board.You have to press it firmly enough to squeeze out the extra liquid without breaking it. Then I dry fried it in a nonstick pan on low heat until most of the moisture had cooked out of it and it had a golden brown crust. I made a marinade of soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and garlic, stuck all the tofu and marinade in a bag in the fridge and let it sit for about 30 min. After that it's easy. I made my favorite peanut stir fry sauce that has soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, peanut butter, garlic, and brown sugar for the veggies. I threw the frozen vegetables in the pan, let them steam till they were done, added the peanut sauce and tofu and heated in all through. I like to serve it over rice. I was full after eating but again it didn't stay with me for as long as I would have liked. Such is the life of a nursing mother with a greedy baby.

I know that most vegetarians use tofu as a substitute for meat so I looked up its ingredients and how much protein it has. Here is what I found: it is the "Nasoya" brand but be aware that all tofu is not the same. The nutrition facts will vary.
INGREDIENTS: : Water, Organic Whole Sprouted Soybeans, Calcium Sulfate, Nigari (Sea Water Extract).
I am going to try and find some other tofu recipes to try. Some of you might be interested in the fact that I bought 1 14oz package of organic tofu for 2 dollars. 1 pound of organic ground beef costs roughly $7 per pound.


2 comments:

  1. I think the big nutritional downside of tofu is the high sodium content. :( i have never been able to like it in anything I've tried to make with it. So tofurkey for Thanksgiving this year?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe that calls for tofu as the meat substitute. Glad to get some pointers before trying. I did know you had to get the water out of it and maybe saute it. Will let you know what I think. I have heard lots of comments on this blog lately. Nice presentations for sure!

    ReplyDelete