Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 1 of 40

Day one of our new healthy eating program(this is not a Diet in the way most people think) has begun. Brad and I both had Ezekiel cereal with Almond milk. If you've never tried almond milk you should. Bethany loves the stuff!
Lunch was a nice salad with eggs.


We made quinoa burgers for supper. They are called Qrunch(Crunch) Burgers. Quinoa is a complete protein and these pre-made burgers are pretty tasty. They have a good crunch to them like they claim. No soggy mess. We got some vegan mayo to dress them and I was pleasantly surprised by its similarity to the real deal.



You can see that we piled on vegetarian cheese and roasted red peppers. Yum!
My only complaint so far is one that I've been experiencing already. Because I'm breast feeding I am hungry all the time. No matter what I eat or how much I eat I won't stay full very long. I can eat enormous amounts of food whether it be a quarter pound hamburger with a side of fries or a huge plate of salad with a bagel. I will still be hungry an hour later. So tonight before we went to bed Brad made huevos rancheros with eggs, cheese, salsa, black beans, and cilantro. I ate two of these bad boys and could still eat more.
So far we have enjoyed all of the food we've eaten. Brad has commented that he feels good for eating good food but is feeling the same way about being hungry even after eating. Maybe it's psychological but I would say that we both agree that our bodies are a bit confused right now. 
 
Finally, I wanted to explain what prompted Brad and my decision to try and eat a primarily vegetarian diet. Brad has a health screening done for free every year by Whole Foods. After he had that done he started thinking about ways to improve his health. We have also been watching some pretty interesting documentaries about becoming vegetarians. They make some pretty good arguments and present some convincing research about the benefits of eating a plant based diet. Here is the list of what we've watched if you are interested in that kind of stuff:
Hungry For A Change
Vegucated
Food Matters
Forks Over Knives
 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go for trying to make a change! I have had to do the same thing recently. I have gone completely paleo, which is cutting out grains and dairy and have felt great. Based upon my symptoms and the research I have performed, this was the best option for me. Eating like this has actually lowered my cholesterol and has stabilized my blood sugar. I had the same problem with a vegetarian lifestyle as well, I was hungry all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I could eat your diet. This food looks super yummy! You have some very good menu ideas. Is Bethany eating the same, or does she get to have chicken nuggets. : ) Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany can have the option. We have her try what we are eating and if she doesn't like it we will give her another choice. She can eat all the meat she wants which isn't very much anyway.

      Delete